Thursday, April 01, 2010

April is National Poetry Month

And in celebration, I'm posting some of my favorite poems or just ones that have a personal meaning.

The picture left contains a view of most of my poetry books.  Not sure if you can see everything, but there's a little forest of note paper sprouting up from the top edges of the books to mark a particularly favorite poem.  Sometimes I'll go a wandering through my library and rediscover an old poem which, like a song or a smell or taste, can transport me back in a memory to a specific time and place.


The e.e.cummings poem I'm sharing is one of my favorites and particularly appropriate on a gloriously beautiful April day like today.  And after The Fire, it was a reminder just how beautiful the world can be.



i thank you God for most this amazing 
i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
wich is natural which is infinite which is yes


(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)


how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?


(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened) 
-e. e. cummings

I recommend you all go out and try to memorize at least one poem.